The Spirit of Relais & Châteaux
“If we do not live as we think, we soon begin to think as we live.”
– Fulton J. Sheen
On the entrance to each of our hotels and lodges around Africa sits a gold Fleur de Lys, that distinctive mark of the Relais & Châteaux family. It is our family crest, a symbol of the principles that have united us for our 60 years of history, the principles that we hold ourselves to to this day.
The 20 Commitments of Relais & Châteaux are more than a code of guidelines for our properties and the experiences they offer. They are part of the greater vision that we have for the world, a vision to create positive change. More than just words, they are unflinching values our innkeepers embody and live. They are the spirit of Relais & Châteaux.
1. Offer a “cuisine” that is representative of local traditions and environments and reflects their global diversity.
2. Receive guests in a way that respects the individuality of each Relais & Châteaux property location, landscape, decor, and its unique way of good living and fine dining.
3. Welcome guests as friends, in an atmosphere where the host Relais & Châteaux property share its passion for “living well”.
4. Initiate strong relationships with local farmers and fishermen and develop a Conservatory that protects and promotes biodiversity.
5. Encourage responsible fishing to protect the biodiversity of the oceans.
6. Contribute to renew natural resources by reducing food waste and using seasonal products locally sourced.
7. Limit the environmental impact of Relais & Châteaux properties with regards to energy, water and waste by employing the Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) system of checks.
8. Associate the finest tastes with nutrition and health to show our guests how fine “cuisine” and well-being go hand in hand.
9. Develop a system for training young people in each region in the art of good taste, food preparation and service.
10. Be part of the regional culinary culture and share our knowledge to teach and enrich the Food Arts as part of the Intangible Heritage of Humanity and as the 10th Art Form.
11. Sign contracts with small local producers who supply our restaurants, offering them an appropriate price allowing them to grow their products without chemicals or GMO, avoid overproduction and the depletion of natural resources.
12. Set up a plan to train the young in the spirit of the “artisan journeymen” where they can learn the skills our professionals use daily throughout the world.
13. Give our personnel good working conditions and salaries that allow them to achieve the level of excellence of Relais & Châteaux so they become our ambassadors everywhere they go.
14. Develop “the art of taking care and being attentive to someone’s needs and desires” by conveying, in a personal way, our pleasure to serve, making the experience at Relais & Châteaux a unique, fulfilling and inspiring moment.
15. Create relationships with local authorities to participate in the planning and initiation of programs for local development.
16. Participate in the promotion of manual jobs, which stress the importance and value of working with one’s hands, allowing young people to realize professional goals.
17. Explain these 20 principles to our clients so that they can improve the way they plan their holidays, in a responsible manner.
18. Invest locally to help communities unite the cultural and practical links between the city and the countryside.
19. Create global alliances, starting at the local level, between people working with different means but sharing the same objectives (to diminish food waste, develop local and sustainable food production, maintain biodiversity).
20. Share the Vision among the owners of Relais & Châteaux, chefs, dining, hotel staff and wine experts, and ensure through local and international events, that our actions and our words contribute to “make the world a better place through cuisine and hospitality” and to recognize the “Arts of Living” as the 10th Art.